Fitness: Beginnings

Monday 9 March 2015

I’m not into sport. I don't have a gym membership. I still cannot explain the offside rule. However, I have always tried to be active; I played hockey at school, like the sporadic jogger and don’t say no to a fitness DVD. Up until now, that was just about it. I never really got the whole ‘gym-bunny’ thing. My sister only played golf a while back because she wanted the outfit that went with it. It has to be said we’re generally on the same playing field there. This year, however, curiosity and that new found motivation we have at the start of the semester had me signing up to the university Body Society. I always wondered if one day I’d be that girl who rises for green tea and Pilates (in perfectly co-ordinated gym-wear of course). There’s something about that that really says ‘I have my shit together’.

Photo Credit: Shopstyle

Body Soc hosts a range of gym classes. Combat and circuits to yoga and Pilates. I’m a member of the dance society but other commitments had seen my attendance decrease. Finally with some more free time I wanted to try something new. This was also around the same time I discovered almond milk and clearly thought I was up for some sort of health kick.

The first class I tried was Pilates. Pilates is all about controlled movements and working on your flexibility. Instead of cardio there’s a focus on core exercises as well as other toning routines for the whole body. Whilst the first time I did it my abs hurt for about two days, sticking at it and noticing the improvements has been so rewarding, not that I can see my abs yet but I know they’re there. Legs, Bums and Tums has made a nice warm up for this as I now attend the class in the hour before Pilates. As the name suggests this is full of squats and crunches and has really pushed me. My favourite class, and the most intense, has to be conditioning. A fusion of aerobics, core exercises, squats and just too many lunges, it’s the class I feel most exhilarated by. I finally understand what people mean when they talk about endorphins.

I’m so surprised at how much exercise lifts my mood. I always feel so good and motivated after a class and I’m really going to stick at it and hopefully try some different classes. Leave any suggestions you have below I’d love to know your thoughts. And for anyone that's thinking of giving a class a go I would definitely recommend. The only thing you have to lose is the feeling in your thighs for a couple of days and personally I'd say it's totally worth it. I’m still building that crucial gym wear wardrobe as well, of course. Read my post for Razz on gym wear here.



Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Carpe Everything. Design by FCD.