What's the Deal with Chia Seeds?

Wednesday 12 August 2015

It’s been a while since we talked about health food fads and my What’s the Deal with Kale? post seemed to go down quite well so here I present the deal with chia seeds. I’ve been pouring chia seeds onto everything at the moment and I thought it was about time I actually found out why I so stubbornly need them on my almond milk porridge, because we all know I like to have more than one fad on my plate.

Banana and chia seed pudding ft. Harper's Bazaar

Chia seeds come from the native South American plant Slavia Hispanica. Apparently chia seeds were enjoyed by the Mayans and the Aztecs, in fact, chia is the ancient Mayan word for strength. But why are they good for us?

Well they are high in fibre and protein and full of antioxidants so they immediately cover a few health bases. They are also packed with calcium and magnesium and are supposedly pretty good for your blood pressure. The most praised aspect of the chia seed seems to be that it has more Omega 3 per gram than salmon. Technically yes this is true. However, it’s not the type of Omega 3 that does good for our hair and skin it’s actually another kind altogether; *insert science word*. So whilst on that basis they aren’t as good as eating fish they are still pretty healthy.

I guess like all health crazes chia seeds should be taken with a pinch of salt, or maybe a pinch of flaxseeds or a handful of strawberries. But all in all they have their good qualities and let’s face it they make you look great on Instagram.

H XX

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Carpe Everything. Design by FCD.